Application Ermodeller is a free CASE tool for data modelling which is built
in Java. This tool supports conceptual and logical data modelling
and in the final step, it allows to create physical model that is specific
for particular DBMS.
The basic idea is to support development of database via ER modelling in three
levels of abstraction:
This separation allows to create database model independent on the particular database system.
You may create conceptual model and logical model that are independent on any DBMS. Then, you
may generate physical model for each DBMS you will use. Afterwards, physical models allows you
to generate SQL data definition for your target DBMS. For more information see
- Pentium 400MHz, 128 RAM
- Java 1.4 or higher
- Three levels of data modelling
- Conceptual model
- Logical model
- Physical model
Support of multiple DBMS:
- Other systems may be installed via XML definition files
- SQL generation to file or directly to database via JDBC
- Reverse engineering from DB
- Model validation
See: Detailed list of implemented features.
See: Detailed list of originally specified features.
- Extend DBMS definitions to support DBMS families and support automative definition
via JDBC connection
- Allow generation of logical and conceptual model from physical -
would be usefull in reverse engineering
- Properties settings
- Enhanced ER-modelling
- Support for triggers/procedures/functions
- Support attributes in relationships
Features next time
- Support for plugins
- Support reports generation
- Support web application generation
There is an ad-hoc list of rules
which would be enlarged and refined
List of used libraries
There, you can see a list of used libraries and tools
Links to other free tools for DB modelling
You can find some freeware ERD
tools over the internet.
However, the source files are not available.
- ERD = entity-relationship diagram